Friday, October 3, 2014

Up next


Our ATC group is meeting Saturday.  We have been exploring a variety of different themes this year and October is no exception.  October's Theme...Altered Altoid (or similar) Tins.  I can't wait to see how all of these creative ladies interpret this and what they produce.  I must admit that with these I went a little overboard with my project.

Way back when I read an article by Lyn Belisle in the Sept/Oct 2013 issue of  Cloth, Paper, Scissors, called Spirit Boxes, Mixed Media With a Secret.  She built Native American themed structures and mounted them on a painted Altoid Tin, creating a secret space.  I must admit I was smitten with them and had tucked that idea in the back of my mind.  Our ATC swap seemed like a great time to pull this idea forward.

I had a great time creating these beauties once again pulling stuff from my stash...corregated cardboard and paper, jewelry pieces, sticks, molded faces, hand-made and painted papers, wood veneer, copper sheeting, beads, etc.  This girl has a definite Native American theme but not all of them spoke to me in that way.  
A little larger than the tin, this structure is
about 6" wide by 8" tall. Of course once you
add the 'dangling' jewelry, the size increases.
I cheated here and used an old Band-Aid
box instead of an Altoid tin.
























A little of this and a little of that.  Both pieces have my signature 'metal'  I decided that these 2 needed a few words to complete the theme.  Enjoyed using more 'stash stuff', lots of beads and a few pieces of jewelry right out of the jewelry box that I haven't worn in years and is better used here than in a garage sale.

Now the question is which to keep and which to trade. Decisions...decisions.
A little art deco.




No comments:

Post a Comment